Awards – National Scholarship for Persons with Disabilities
Upto five hundred awards are to be given annually through institutions in which students are pursuing studies/courses. Scholarship will be given to different categories of disabled students as under:
Amount of scholarship will vary among courses and will also depend on availability of hostel/residential facility with the institution. The details are given below:
|S.No.||Courses of Study||(Rs. Per month)|
|Rate of scholarship hostellers (Rs/month)||Day scholars (Rs/ month)|
|1.||Ph.D. / M. Phil and Post Graduate/Graduate level courses in Engineering/Indian and other systems of Medicine/ Agriculture/Veterinary/ IT/ Biotechnology, Education Management / Architecture, Physiotherapy, Music and other professional courses||1000||700|
|2.||Diploma and certificate level professional courses||700||400|
|3.||In respect of students with cerebral palsy, mental retardation, multiple disabilities and profound or severe hearing impairment, for pursuing general/professional/technical/vocational courses after class VIII||700||400|
1) The students will also be reimbursed the course fee subject to a ceiling of Rs.10,000/- per year.
Besides students living in the hostel/residential facility provided by the institutions, those students will also be considered as hostellers who live in accommodation hired at least by a group of 3 students living together with common mess arrangement. Such students will have to furnish a certificate in this regard countersigned by the head of the institution and a certificate from the owner of the house in case of own arrangement or accommodation taken on rent.
2) Applications for the scholarship is required to be submitted in as per the prescribed proforma . Applications for renewal/continuation of award are to be submitted in the prescribed proforma as per . No other proforma is to be adopted for making the application. The last date for receipt of application for new cases as well as renewal/continuation is 31st Aug, 2014.
3) List of enclosures (attested copies only):
- Academic records (attested copy of certificates and Mark sheets – matric & above)
- Family Income Certificate/ Proof of annual income, e.g. Salary Slip, last Income tax Assessment order
- Attested copy of Disability Certificate
- Course fee receipt (if any) with break up of each item duly paid during the academic session
- Hostel Certificate or certificate from the house owner in case of accommodation hired by at least by a group of 3 students living together with common mess arrangements.
4) After applying online, the dully filled printed copy of the application for the scholarship may be sent to the National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India), Red Cross Bhawan, Sector-12, Faridabad-121007 (Haryana).
Telephone no: 2226910, 2287512, 2287513,
A Student should submit only one application along with all the relevant documents together with recommendations of the Institute concerned.
Applications for the award of scholarship will be countersigned and recommended by the head of the institution in which the applicant is enrolled for study.
Applications received after the last date i.e. 31.08.2014 and incomplete applications (without requisite documents) will not be considered.
- Financial assistance will be available to Indian students with at least 40% disabilities certified as per definition under Persons with Disabilities Act 1995.
- Financial assistance will be given for pursuing post-Matric/Post-Secondary technical and professional courses including Ph.D & M.Phil from recognized institutions. However, for students with disabilities of Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation, Multiple Disabilities, and Profound or Severe Hearing Impaired, the minimum educational qualification will be class VIII pass and scholarship will be awarded to them for pursuing general, technical, vocational or professional courses.
- Scholarship will be awarded to one student for pursuing only one course.
- Financial assistance can be given for computer with editing software for blind/ deaf graduate and postgraduate students pursuing professional courses and for support access software for cerebral palsied students.
- Continuation/ renewal of the award for next year will depend on successfully completing the course in the preceding year with minimum 45 (forty fifty) percent marks for professional courses and 40% for other courses.
- The Assistance under this Scheme is not intended for Post-Matric/Post Secondary Technical/Professional courses having duration of less than one year.
- A scholarship holder under this scheme will not concurrently hold any other scholarship/stipend. If already any other scholarship/stipend awarded, the student is required to exercise his/her option for choosing the scholarship that he/she proposes to avail and inform awarding authority about the same.
- Monthly family income of the beneficiary should not be more than Rs. 15,000/- from all sources. Family income includes income of the parent/guardian.