A collaborative programme of IGNOU and Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) Programme Code: PGDMD Introduction of the programme:
The rapid advances in Medical Technology have successfully increased the survival of high risk babies but this adds on to number of babies who might end up with developmental delays and disabilities.
Therefore, it is of utmost importance to focus on preventive aspects of disabilities. If a baby is born with or developing impairments or disability, there is a dire need to identify such infants with problems at the earliest and provide Rehabilitation services and enhance the development and the quality of life. Such Rehabilitation services early in life and development constitute the early intervention services. This programme has been developed in collaboration with Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) to provide an opportunity to medical practitioners in Govt. and private sectors as well as for those who are in private practice. This training programme will equip the learners on the prevention, promotion, assessment, early identification, timely intervention and rehabilitation for all types of disabilities.
Objective of the Programme:
After undergoing this programme, the students will be able to:-
1. Explain the genesis of Disability, terminology’s used in the area of Disability Rehabilitation.
2. Identify and assess children, adults and elderly having physical, sensory or cognitive impairments or at risk.
3. Understand the rehabilitation methodology/ strategies of persons with disabilities.
4. Undertake effective intervention to disability related issues for children/adults/elderly with disabilities.
5. Undertake medical intervention for disability related health issues.
6. Plan and implement prevention programmes for the persons with disabilities.
7. Carry out parental & family counselling of persons with disabilities.
8. Play leadership role in advocacy, community mobilisation and generating awareness about preventive measures, possible therapies and productive potentials of persons with disabilities by propagating the needs and rights of the disabilities.
9. Be aware of existing facilities and legislations available for persons with disabilities.
10. Refer the persons with disabilities for appropriate need based rehabilitation intervention.
11. Be aware of disability certification procedures.
MBBS, or equivalent qualification in Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathic medicine preferably with two years relevant experience.
Minimum 1 year Maximum 3 years