Legal Provisions :
Section-40, 43(b) and 43(f) of PWD Act, 1995 have statutory provision to promote self-employment possibilities of PWDs. These provisions are –
Reservation in poverty alleviation scheme :
Section-40 : The appropriate Government and local authorities shall reserve not less than three per cent in poverty alleviation schemes for the benefit of PWDs.
Preferential allotment of land :
Section-43 : The appropriate Government and local authorities shall by notification frame scheme in favour of PWDs for the preferential allotment of land at concessional rates for –
Sub-Section (b) : Setting up business;
Sub-Section (f) : Establishment of factories by entrepreneurs with disabilities.
RESERVATION & RELAXATION :
- 3% reservation in poverty alleviation schemes/programmes (SGSY, SGRY, IAY etc.) and other schemes like KVIC, KVIB, SJSRY have been provided to PWDs. The PWDs belonging to SC/ST or women may avail loan under scheme of NSFDCs and Rastriya Mahila Kosh (RMK). The poor PWDs can avail loan under DRI scheme also.
- Exclusive NHFDC scheme have been launched (1997) by Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment to provide financial suppor t to cross disability sector including parents association of MR persons for self-employment and pursuing higher education.
- 10 years upper age relaxation have been provided in PMRY.
- 7.5% reservation in allotment of dealership of petroleum products, have been earmarked.
- Top priority in allotment of STD/PCO have been provided by BSNL.
- Self Help Groups of PWDs can be formed with 5 disabled members only and subsidy under SGSY is allowed up to 50% or 1.25 lakh whichever is less. Micro finance up to Rs.25,000/- per member is available under NHFDC scheme.
- The Government of Orissa has provided 10% reservation to PWDs for allotment of Government retail shops.