South India Workshop on
“Popular Education/ Communication for Community organising & Advocacy”
2 – 5 March 2011
Organised by: Convene & Parishkaran
This workshop focuses on strengthening competencies of those involved in capacity building and consulting for civil society organisations, in the area of communication for community organising and advocacy using Popular Education/ Communication.
Popular Education/ Communication is a creative and participatory form of building communication that has been made to adapt to the needs of practitioners across the globe that specifically brings in the needs of grass root people.
Popular Education/ Communication skills include basic facilitation, games, energisers, action songs, community theater, art & drawing, photo language, folk art, media and ICT etc., for community educating and organising.
In our work among our community groups, collectives, movements and organisations, at some point during our work we realise that our message could have garnered more support, our work/message can be articulated more effectively, we could have reached out to more people. We could have been more creative.
Responding to this challenge necessitates a constant process of institutional capacity builing, which addresses the ‘need of the time’ (Strengthening our pedagogy, methodology, strategies, skills and networks) in our day-to-day community engagement and intervention.
As an attempt to initiate the process of institutional capacity building, Convene & Parishkaran will be organising a 6 day (inclusive of arrival & departure) residential South India Workshop on “Popular Education/Communication for Community organising & Advocacy”. The workshop will offer basic skills of Pop Ed/Com for participants.
The Objectives of the workshop will be:
- To share, understand and identify current methodologies used
- To understand Popular Education/ Communication and explore its use in current work
- To equip oneself with Popular education /Communication tools for community organising & education
- To develop skills on creatively packaging one’s work for community mobilisation & advocacy
It is envisaged that the participants be oriented/ exposed to a range of Popular Education/ Communication techniques and approaches to strengthen competencies:
- In creatively documenting own experiences for broader learning, monitoring and capacity building.
- In popularising and creatively presenting issues to donors, the media, governments, the general public and other education stakeholders;
- Basics on developing creative advocacy/campaign tools such as ‘user guides’, ‘training modules’, ‘campaign packs’, ‘audio-visuals & web’ and others;
- To create an alliance of Pop Ed/Com practitioners for a strategic community organising, capacity building & advocacy
Popular Education/ Communication skills offered in the workshop are:
- Basic Facilitation Skills
- Basic Audio Visual Skills
- ICT tools
- Basic Campaign Packaging and Advocacy tools
The workshop design includes specific inputs by practitioners & experts; presentations & experience sharing by participants, field visits and hands-on skill development.
- This workshop is best suited for trainers, community organisers, campaigners and communication staff.
- Maximum number of participants for the workshop will be Twenty five (25)
- The medium of instruction of the workshop is English
Basic criteria for participants:
- Working knowledge of English
- Basic knowledge in computer and internet
- Preferable training and community organising experience of a minimum 6 to 12 month
- Post workshop commitment of at least 6 to 12 months to the representing organisation
Participants will have to pay a registration fee of Rs. 2,500/-, which will cover costs of food, accommodation, training material and field trip expenses (if any) etc. Partial scholarships on the participation fee may be available for participants with no alternative financial support. Participants will have to bear the travel expenses.
We will proactively seek to create gender and regional balance of participants.
In and around Bangalore, India. The exact venue will be communicated to confirmed applicants.
Last date for submitting applications forms: 4 February, 2011
Intimation of final list of participants: 7 February, 2011
If you are unable to fill the form online, kindly fill the form attached and email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Executive Director – Parishkaran
# 200, 4th Cross, Veerabhadra Nagar,
Banashankari III stage,
Bangalore – 560 085, Karnataka, India
Mobile: +91- (0) 9620837614
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org