(ii) Early Intervention
- Early Intervention Centre for infants and young children with hearing impairment in 32 districts
- Early Intervention Centre for the mentally retarded children
- Early Intervention Centre for visually impaired
(iii) Special Education
- Special Education
- Pre school for young hearing impaired children
- Readers allowance for visually differently abled persons
- Scribe assistance for visually impaired students
- Distribution of Pre-recorded Cassettes and Tape recorders changed as CD players with text CD’s to visually impaired persons
- Starting of Degree courses for the hearing impaired students
- Assistance to Law graduates for differently abled students
- Cash prize and assistance to pursue higher education for the visually impaired students
- Cash prize and assistance to pursue higher education for the hearing impaired students
- Government Institute for the Mentally challenged, Chennai
- Supply of Braille books for visually impaired students
- Distribution of Lap top computers to +2 differently abled students studying in Government and Government aided schools
- Honorarium to Teachers
- Financial assistances to Non Governmental Organisations
(iv) Training and Employment
- Secondary Grade Teachers Training Institute for the Orthopaedically differently abled persons (Diploma in Teacher Education)
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology training
- Cell phone Service and Maintenance Training Course
- Computer Training Course
- Multimedia Training
- Training to the visually differently abled persons (male)
- Training to the speech and hearing impaired (male)
- Vocational training centre with hostel facilitiy
- Unemployment allowance to the differently abled persons
- Self employment loan subsity for the differently abled persons
- Motorised Sewing machines
- Loan assistance from National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC)
- Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme
(v) 3% Reservation in educational institutions and in employment
- 3% reservation of seats in Educational Iinstitutions
- Reservation of teaching posts in educational institutions for visually impaired
- Reservation of jobs in Government Departments / Government Undertakings
- Reservation of Non Teaching posts in educational institutions for speech and hearing impaired persons
(vi) Assistive devices for differently abled persons
- Wheel chairs
- Hearing aids and Solar rechargeable batteries
- Goggles and folding sticks
- Braille watches
- Calipers and crutches
- Artificial limbs
- Retrofitted petrol scooters
- Modular functional artificial limbs
- ‘Behind the ear’ hearing aids
- Reflecting folding sticks
(vii) Maintenance allowance
- Maintenance allowance to mentally retarded persons
- Maintenance allowance to differently abled persons (severely affected)
- Maintenance allowance for persons affected with muscular dystrophy
- Maintenance allowance for leprosy affected persons
(viii) Marriage assistance
- Marriage assistance to normal persons marrying visually impaired persons
- Marriage assistance to normal persons marrying orthopaedically differently abled persons
- Marriage assistance to normal persons marrying speech and hearing impaired persons
- Marriage assistance to differently abled persons marrying differently abled persons
(ix) Other schemes for Differently abled persons
- Homes for the mentally retarded above the age of 14 years
- Government rehabilitation homes
- Government care camp, Melpakkam
- Day care centre for persons affected by muscular dystrophy
- Rescue scheme for persons with mental illness
- Home for the mentally ill
- Travel concession to the differently abled persons in state owned transport corporation buses
- Registration of complaints under persons with disabilities act, 1995
- Appointment of guardians to special categories of differently abled persons under national trust act, 1999
(x) Social Security Schemes – Tamil Nadu Welfare Board for the differently abled persons
- Personal accident relief for differently abled persons
- Financial assistance to meet the funeral expenses of a differently abled person:
- Financial assistance on the natural death of a differently abled person:
- Scholarship to son and daughter of differently abled persons
- Assistance for marriage
- Assistance for delivery / miscarriage of pregnancy / termination of pregnancy to a female differently abled person
- Assistance for purchase of spectacles by a differently abled person
Reservation in Government Job :
In Gr. ‘ C’ and ‘ D’ posts under the Government reservation are provided in direct recruitment for physically handicapped persons as indicated below:
Reservation for The Handicapped
|Category of handicapped||Percentage of reservation|
Educational Institutions: 3% of the seats in educational institutions/training centers/professional courses (except in medicines) are reserved for disabled persons.
The upper age limit is relaxed by 10 years for handicapped persons for applying in Government jobs.
i. Disabled students studying in Class IX onwards (including colleges and vocational/professionals/ technical courses) get scholarship. The rate of scholarship varies from Rs.4000/– to Rs.7000/– p.m.depending upon the course.
ii. Disabled children aged 5 years and above get free boarding and lodging facility under special education programme. They also get free supply of 2 sets of uniform every year.
iii. Speech and Hearing impaired children in the age group of 3 to 5 years get free special Education, Speech Therapy and boarding and lodging facilities.
Rs.100/– p.m. as maintenance allowance is given for severely disabled with disability 75% and above to physically handicapped and mentally retarded persons.
Free travel facility to the handicapped children in buses of State Transport Corporation except TTC. O/I – M.D. Transport Corporation
Incentive for marrying disabled:
Marriage assistance is given to the normal person who marry a hearing and speech impaired person as follows:(Total assistance is Rs.25000/– to Rs.50000/-)
Rs.25000/– in the form of National Savings Certificate, Rs.25000/– as cash towards marriage expenses.
Normal person should marry a hearing handicapped person. The age of the couples (both) should be above 18 years.
Assistance for purchase of aids & appliances:
Free supply of tri–cycles, wheel chairs, hearing aids, calipers, artificial limbs or given at subsidized rates.
O/I – Director of Social Welfare.
Key reference for contact
For further details on Concession please contact the Director, Social Welfare of State or the following persons in respective State/U.T. Governments.
1. For education/scholarship:
i. District Inspector of Schools.
ii. District Education Officer.
iii. District Social Welfare Officer.
iv. Directorate of Education.
v. Superintendent, Vocational Rehabilitation Centre for Handicapped.
vi. Principal of School
2. For training:
i. Principal, Industrial Training Institute.
ii. Superintendent, Vocational Rehabilitation Centre for Handicapped.
iii. Directorate of Employment & Training.
iv. Director, Directorate of Technical Education & Training.
v. Vocational Training Institute specifically meant for the disabled persons.
vi. Industrial Promotion Officer, Block Development Agency of your area.
vii. Project Officer, District Rural Development Agency of your district.
viii. Manager (Cottage Industries), District Industries Centre of your district.
ix. Head of Government Training Institute of your area.
3. For employment:
i. Superintendent, Vocational Rehabilitation Centre.
ii. Employment Officer of Special Employment Exchange for Physically Handicapped of your state.
iii. Employment Officer In–charge, Placement cell of Handicapped, District Employment Exchange of your district.
iv. Placement Officers of leading voluntary organizations working for employment of disabled persons.
v. Refer advertisements of Staff Selection Commission, Union Public Service Commission, Banking Service Recruitment Board, Post & Telegraph department, State Public Service Commission and collectorate advertisements in which number of vacancies are being advertised as reserved for the disabled persons.
vi. Director, Directorate of employment.
4. For self employment:
i. Superintendent, Vocational Rehabilitation Centre.
ii. Director, Directorate of Social Welfare.
iii. District Social Welfare Officers.
iv. Project Officer, District Rural Development Agency of your district.
v. Manager (Cottage Industries), District Industries.
vi. All the nationalized banks.
vii. Sub–Divisional Officer, Telephone Division of your area for telephone booth.
viii. Chairman of Municipal Corporations, Municipalities, N.A.C’s for allotment of kiosks, selling outlets, license for cart puller etc.
ix. President, Lions Club, Rotary Club, Y’s Men Club and other social clubs/societies.
Principal Secretary / State Commissioner for the Differently Abled,
State Resource cum Training Centre Campus, Jawaharlal Nehru Inner Ring Road,
K.K. Nagar, Chennai – 600 078. Ph: 044-24719947 / 48 / 49 /
Department of Social Welfare,
Government of Tamil Nadu,
Chennai – 35